Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Letters to Marge (Introduction)


Dear Margaret…

As I write this, your mother is nagging me about a lot of things (again…)…

Anyway, how do I put this without the whole thing sounding morbid or macabre…? I got inspired to get this little thing started when I saw Sidney Poitier’s sequel to his best-selling memoir in a bookstore, “Measure of a Man.” The sequel’s title on the other hand, is “Letters to My Great Granddaughter,” and it struck a chord. I do not pretend that this is entirely original in its concept, but I promise you that everything I have to say are things that I feel very strongly about.

Apart from that rather intriguing title of Mr. Poitier, I must admit that part of my motivation for what I hope will be this series of pieces about me, our family, and things I wish to teach you is that I am a bit of a hypochondriac. A hypochondriac, (assuming you do not know the word’s definition by the time you read this) is a person who believes that he suffers from various illnesses. I have exhibited different symptoms throughout this rather odd life that I honestly believe are harbingers of my pending doom… (the morbidity is starting…)

Assuming I have passed away by the time you read this, then my hunches on the true state of my health were correct. But in the event that I am still alive, then I win again, since… well, I’m still alive… in any case, I hope you will keep reading since I will be telling you about a lot of the things that have kept my spirit strong through every stage of my life, and point you to a few road signs that may guide you in a more interesting life of your own…

Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment